The 19-year-old schoolboy who allegedly stabbed a fellow Forest High school pupil to death has been granted R5000 bail.
Muhammad Mawela made his first appearance on Wednesday after he allegedly stabbed three boys at the school last Monday.
He is facing a charge of murder and two counts of attempted murder.
It’s understood that Mawela allegedly got involved in a fight between two groups at the school which left one dead and two wounded after writing last week Monday.
Ahead of the bail hearing, the family of the deceased grade 8 pupil said they hoped the grade 11 suspect would be denied bail.
Security concerns have been also raised that should the learner be granted bail, there may be a backlash from the community.
The Justice Minister, Ronald Lamola, said he was concerned by the rising levels of violence among young people, and added that his department would consider reviewing the Child Justice Act in light of the murder at Forest Hills High.