The City of Ekurhuleni and the Executive Mayor Cllr. Mzwandile Masina, in partnership with Inside Education, are calling for nominations of outstanding young achievers as part of the 100 Ekurhuleni Shining Stars 2018 programme.
This provides a unique opportunity for young people in Ekurhuleni to reflect on Madiba’s and MmaSisulu’s lives and times in order to promote their legacy as they would have both turned 100 this year. During his tenure as President of the Republic of South Africa, Nelson Mandela said: “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.”
The nomination of 100 Ekurhuleni Shining Stars 2018 open to the public, will culminate into a celebratory breakfast event, to take place on 07 December 2018. The event seeks to honour young Ekurhuleni achievers in various fields of endeavours particularly those contributing to economic growth, community upliftment and job creation. These under-35s should be hugely talented individuals who have shown great promise in their chosen fields.
They must also be game-changers and natural born leaders doing great things to transform their communities.
100 Ekurhuleni Shining Stars 2018 winners will be announced at a breakfast awards at the Emperors Palace Casino on 7 December 2018. The 100 young shining stars will be hosted by the Executive Mayor Cllr Masina and City Manager of Ekurhuleni Dr Imogen Mshazi on the day of the event, where they will be awarded grand prizes and a scroll naming them The Ekurhuleni 100 Shining Stars of 2018.
The 100 Ekurhuleni Shining Stars 2018 to be celebrated should be innovative and inspire viable ways to shape Ekurhuleni’s future outlook and the people who live in the region.
The young achievers should fall into key categories listed below:
- Education (Young nation-builders through education and academia)
- Health (Young people doing work in the Health sector)
- Justice & Law (Young people who have done well in the field of law including fighting crime in their communities)
- Arts, culture, media and entertainment (Young people using arts as a solution to challenges in their communities)
- Science & Technology (Young tech savvy innovators in Science, ICT, AI and Robotics)
- Business & Entrepreneurship (Young entrepreneurs with solution yielding innovative business ideas)
- Environment (Nature preservation and conservation; for example waste management, etc.)
- Civil Society and Youth Activism (Young community activists in areas such as housing, basic services, land, drug rehabilitation, gender-based violence, inter-faith work etc.)
- Philanthropy (Young community workers and nation-builders)
- Politics & Governance (Young people doing well in politics – ANCYL, DA, UDM, IFP elected leaders – and are currently showing incredible talent as future public administrators)
Any person or organisation in Ekurhuleni may nominate a young person who is considered an achiever.
Criteria for nominations:
- Residents, workers of Ekurhuleni and youth originally born in Ekurhuleni but currently residing elsewhere, are 35 years and under
- Youths who have made a significant change in their chosen field or in the lives of the people of Ekurhuleni
- Youths who focus on the needs of developing Ekurhuleni and can show that their work and vision has had impact on others or environment
- Youths who have created structures suited to future-fit commerce and industry
- Youths who have contributed to a sustainable future
- Young people, who in the words of Mandela ‘are capable, when aroused, of bringing down the towers of oppression and raising the banners of freedom’.
To nominate a young person who is making a difference in the community, please check the Nomination forms on online platforms:
Ensure to complete the form and submit no later than 26 November 2018
Prepared for 100 Ekurhuleni Shining Stars 2018
For more information, contact:
Address: 66 Second Street, Orange Grove, Johannesburg, South Africa
Advocate Modise Koetle
Divisional Head, Ekurhuleni Youth Directorate